Sunday, April 27, 2008

Holy Sneak Shitballs!!!

"Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!"

Today was the 26th Annual Cherry Creek Sneak in Denver. I ran the 5 mile in 47:40. What is most noteworthy is that I ran mile 5 in 7:39. 7:freakin39!!!! I have never broken 8:00....I think I could have run a faster total time if I didn't have to leave my breakfast by the side of the road just before the first mile marker. That first mile was a killer.

Clearly, I was optimistic...I lined up in the 7:01-8:00 min/mi wave. I usually do this to get away from stroller-pushers and walkers. I guess I almost actually belong in this wave now. Tee hee.




Lessons Learned & Observations Made:
1. Great race that's about two miles from my house: can sleep later the morning of! Parking sucks, though. I just made it about five minutes before the horn because I had to park almost a mile away. At least I remembered where I parked the PudgeMobile after the race!
2. Very flat course with less than a mile on concrete: good for shins and arches.
3. Cereal and coffee two hours before, not a good choice. Didn't even go near a banana. Some lessons I learn the first go-round.
4. If you lose 110lbs., you can run 8:00 miles. Last time I "ran" this race was in 2006. I think I logged 14:00 min/mile. That's cutting some serious time!
5. I don't think I'm a good runner but I always believe I'm going to finish every race.
6. My secret dread is finishing dead last. I think I'd better be dead if I finish last.
7. I feel SO great when I see the FINISH banner ahead of me. It's a feeling unto its own. Makes it very easy to sprint the final 100 yds, or so.
8. I run to escape the stress around me and noise in my head.
9. When elating to ABC about my 7:39 mile, H said, "Duh, you're in great shape...better shape than you think." [!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
10. Finishers get a boatload of schwag in a handy reusable bag: samples, food, drinks, beer (what's with the beer at all these CO races after running before noon????), energy bars, lip stuff, sunscreen, a ton of coupons for more schwag, a free sammie at Spicy Pickle...
11. I like to be the fashion police when watching the other runners. I see some crazy ass outfits running around. Today a gal ran in shiny silver tights, skirt, and tube top. I'm guessing she doesn't own a mirror, or she's stuck in the 80's. I won't even go into all the guys who run nearly naked. That is shit I just don't need to see first thing in the morning...saggy old wrinkly nastiness.
12. This was the first run I did with my new waist pack. It sucked. It holds a water bottle and has a little tiny zipper pocket that basically holds about two TicTacs. Still searching for the perfect running pack.
13. The 5 mile run started last of all the runs, at 9:15. At first I was bitter that the 5K started at 8:30. Why have the shorter distance go first??? Then, when I realized it was 30 degrees at 8:30, I was glad to have an extra 45 minutes for the temps to rise a bit. It didn't rise all that much, though, so I ended up running in tights and a long sleeve shirt. I was sweating like a whore in church by the second mile but got such a cramp in my right quad that I figured if I stopped to take off my tights I probably wouldn't get started again. I did manage to get my long sleeve shirt off at mile 4, just in time to run almost all of mile 5 in the shade. I think that's why I had such a great time in the last mile. I was freezing my noonnies off so I had to hustle to get back in the sunshine...and the Starbucks stand with FREE Pikes Peak blend was CALLING MY NAME! I could smell it the last quarter mile....Mmmmmmm, coffee....
14. This leads me to my last lesson...don't do so many dry-land lunges and squats with weights three days before a run. I probably won't remember this next time. Good thought, though.
15. This was also the last year I run in the 35-39 division. That's a tough nut to swallow.

1 comment:

GETkristiLOVE said...

Wow, congrats. That's quite an improvement. Are you up to 110 lbs. now? You really are the bigest loser. Hee.

QweenB

Qween of movie quotes and random useless facts