Saturday, September 27, 2008

Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner!

I haven't been to a concert in a LONG time. A rock concert, that is. I've seen a lot of symphonies and soloists, ballets, operas, musicals...but it's been a long time since I was at a concert. I jumped back in this week for Augustana/Maroon 5/Counting Crows at Fiddler's. (If you haven't heard Augustana, check them out! I first heard them on Weekend Edition when Ari Shapiro interviewed them on NPR back in May. Great interview. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90780265 The acoustic version of Sweet and Low is...SWEET!)

I had a couple extra tickets and ended up going last minute with my friend Baby and her friend Desi. Baby is very easy going, fun to be with, funny, funny girl, who is always ready, willing and able to drop everything for a party, a concert, or a Capt'n & Coke. Desi is a hard core Crows fan. I thought he was going to crap himself he was so excited.
I hate the seats at Fiddler's so we had lawn "seats." We copped a spot with our blanket and settled in to enjoy the show. I guess I didn't anticipate all the high schoolers who would be there. We were surrounded. They thought they were really cool and sneaky for bringing in alcohol. I should give them kudos, because we paid $9/drink and they paid far less, I'm sure.

We seemed to offend the group of 7 to our right mid-way through Maroon 5. One of the jerky boys punched me in the arm and said, "HEY! Could you be quiet?? We're here to hear the show!" I was so shocked to be punched, no less by a 17-yr old punk, that I was near speechless. I just looked at him and said, "Huh? I can't hear you. It's really loud in here." Then, just as the Crows were taking the stage the same jerky boy crawls over to our blanket and tells Baby to move back a foot because we were, "invading their space." That was enough for me. I told him it was LAWN and my ticket says the same as everyone else's: LAWN. You get some lawn and I get some lawn. No defined lawn. Then I said, "Maybe you should crack open Daddy's wallet and spend $100/seat to sit up front, cry ass." He actually came closer, took his hands and measured the space from Baby's ass to the next blanket behind us, all the while crying something about there being a whole foot behind us. Baby just sweetly said, "Dude, what's the problem. I ain't movin'. I'm just chillin'." The girls to her right got up and moved. Tee hee. Age over stupidity, I guess. (The whole while Desi was trying to not piss his shorts in anticipation.)
Always bring your nose bandage and your Baby to concerts, I say. Is that a halo around us??? I'm sure it is!

1 comment:

GETkristiLOVE said...

Sounds like a great time... I hate the lawn at Fiddler's just for those reasons you mention. Good thing you had alcohol!

QweenB

Qween of movie quotes and random useless facts